One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white New Zealander as opposed to a Maori.as modifier ‘Pakeha influences’
- ‘Haast named the pass after himself and claimed to be the first pakeha to have travelled through it, but the discovery of Cameron's flask discredited this claim.’
- ‘I am still in a dilemma of how, as a pakeha, to present this relationship and history.’
- ‘The latest New Zealand Census-Mortality Study shows that Maori die younger than pakeha, even after controlling for socioeconomic status.’
- ‘So it's a mystery why, unique in the world, some European New Zealanders refer to themselves as pakehas - an insulting name originally applied by the Maoris to the fair-skinned Imperialists who were in the process of conquering them!‘.’
- ‘In the same speech he uttered the weighty words ‘Maori and pakeha are both indigenous people to New Zealand now‘.’
- ‘He ignores all the advantages pakeha have inherited: wealth and land, and also dominance, confidence, privilege, and a society that is set up to convenience us.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.