One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of choreographed figure skating in which a man and a woman compete as a team.‘the lifts in pairs skating are becoming ever more daring’
- ‘In pairs skating, Hinnegan and Norris teamed up to skate the foxtrot dance variation.’
- ‘Yamaguchi gave up pairs skating to concentrate on singles.’
- ‘Olympic officials took the unprecedented step of awarding a second set of gold medals to the Canadian runners-up in the pairs skating event won by Russia.’
- ‘With this performance, the level of pairs skating came back down to earth.’
- ‘She wanted to do pairs because of the rich tradition of pairs skating at the Yubileny Rink in St. Petersburg, but she was too tall.’
- ‘Do you feel that there is too much emphasis on side-by-side jumps in pairs skating?’
- ‘We watched some old pairs skating and went back to some of the basics.’
- ‘Figure skating includes four disciplines - singles men and ladies skating, pairs skating, and ice dancing.’
- ‘In pairs skating, there's no better feeling than to step out on to the ice and know that there is someone next to you that you can trust.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.