One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small American freshwater turtle with a smooth patterned shell.
Chrysemys picta, family Emydidae
- ‘In freshwater turtles also, multiple paternity has been found in every species examined, including wood turtles, snapping turtles, giant Amazon sideneck turtles, and painted turtles.’
- ‘We have been studying a population of painted turtles on the Mississippi River for the last 16 years.’
- ‘We collected five clutches of painted turtle eggs during June 2004.’
- ‘As part of a comprehensive study of the effects of landscape change on the demography of painted turtles, we examined terrestrial habitat use by female painted turtles during the nesting season.’
- ‘The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.