One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A box holding dry paints for painting pictures.
- ‘So, I did the big sigh thing, pulled out my paintbox and brushes, taped a postcard onto my small drawing board, closed my eyes and… out popped another rural cottage scene.’
- ‘‘We'll give him a purple coat from my paintbox by and by,’ said Bertie.’
- ‘Brightly painted butterflies and Easter eggs are drawn with black outlines and colors that seem to come from a child's paintbox.’
- ‘And, once we'd had lunch, and a nap, I settled down with my paintbox and a bottle of claret to an afternoon and evening of watercolour experiments.’
- ‘A paintbox in jewel-tones lay opened on the bedside table, and a collection of tiny brushes.’
- ‘He started painting only four years ago, after spotting a paintbox in an art shop window in Scarborough.’
- ‘If we're all a piece of art, then computers are just another brush in the paintbox.’
- ‘That ‘something’ is generally held to be the gift of a paintbox from a girlfriend on his 21st birthday, but that seems to have been part of a wider epiphany.’
- ‘Every one also has easels standing tall, accompanied by a weathered table speckled with paint and sporting a paintbox and palettes.’
- ‘And his paintboxes grow legs and walk over to him so he doesn't have to stand up and go get them.’
- ‘Many studios also contained a cabinet with drawers in which to keep pigments, media, and brushes dust-free, with a hinged top which lifts to reveal paints in a tray or paintbox below.’
- ‘However, he did keep an easel and paintbox in his studio.’
- 1.1Paintboxtrademark An electronic system used to create video graphics by storing filmed material on disk and manipulating it using a graphics tablet.
- ‘Called Paintbox, it allows youngsters aged four to 12 to paint on real cars, while the under-fours can draw and paint on special child-sized easels.’
- ‘With the development of programs like Paintbox and Photoshop, computers began to color the work of traditional artists as well.’
- ‘It is understood the company has raised around €800,000 in funding to date from private investors including John Reddy of graphic design company Paintbox.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.