Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A box holding dry paints for painting pictures.
- ‘Brightly painted butterflies and Easter eggs are drawn with black outlines and colors that seem to come from a child's paintbox.’
- ‘He started painting only four years ago, after spotting a paintbox in an art shop window in Scarborough.’
- ‘That ‘something’ is generally held to be the gift of a paintbox from a girlfriend on his 21st birthday, but that seems to have been part of a wider epiphany.’
- ‘Many studios also contained a cabinet with drawers in which to keep pigments, media, and brushes dust-free, with a hinged top which lifts to reveal paints in a tray or paintbox below.’
- ‘‘We'll give him a purple coat from my paintbox by and by,’ said Bertie.’
- ‘If we're all a piece of art, then computers are just another brush in the paintbox.’
- ‘And, once we'd had lunch, and a nap, I settled down with my paintbox and a bottle of claret to an afternoon and evening of watercolour experiments.’
- ‘However, he did keep an easel and paintbox in his studio.’
- ‘Every one also has easels standing tall, accompanied by a weathered table speckled with paint and sporting a paintbox and palettes.’
- ‘And his paintboxes grow legs and walk over to him so he doesn't have to stand up and go get them.’
- ‘A paintbox in jewel-tones lay opened on the bedside table, and a collection of tiny brushes.’
- ‘So, I did the big sigh thing, pulled out my paintbox and brushes, taped a postcard onto my small drawing board, closed my eyes and… out popped another rural cottage scene.’
- 1.1Paintboxtrademark An electronic system used to create video graphics by storing filmed material on disk and manipulating it using a graphics tablet.
- ‘Called Paintbox, it allows youngsters aged four to 12 to paint on real cars, while the under-fours can draw and paint on special child-sized easels.’
- ‘It is understood the company has raised around €800,000 in funding to date from private investors including John Reddy of graphic design company Paintbox.’
- ‘With the development of programs like Paintbox and Photoshop, computers began to color the work of traditional artists as well.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.