Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Done with or employing great care and thoroughness.‘painstaking attention to detail’‘he is a gentle, painstaking man’
careful, meticulous, thorough, assiduous, sedulous, attentive, diligent, industrious, laborious, hard-working, conscientious, ultra-careful, punctilious, scrupulous, demanding, exacting, searching, close, elaborate, minute, accurate, correct, studious, rigorous, particularView synonyms
- ‘The training was with painstaking precision and hard work was expected of all of us.’
- ‘His technique shows a painstaking attention to detail in a labour-intensive process.’
- ‘Bringing such a collection to life took months of painstaking research and development.’
- ‘He warned that the investigation could prove to be a long haul as it would be thorough and painstaking.’
- ‘He has a worldwide patent on the unique vehicle, now at its prototype stage after two and a half years of painstaking research.’
- ‘Forensic experts yesterday continued the painstaking search for clues to the London bombers.’
- ‘The officers then begin the painstaking job of searching the house for drugs and stolen property.’
- ‘He then set about a thorough and painstaking exploration of what an orchestral work of the late 20th century might be.’
- ‘Lots of painstaking research work went before we came up with the design.’
- ‘After a year of painstaking scientific research, the world's funniest joke was revealed on yesterday.’
- ‘However, all her painstaking attention to detail ended up being slightly derailed.’
- ‘It took almost a decade of meticulous and painstaking work to empty the tomb of Tutankhamen.’
- ‘Although one has to admire the painstaking attention to detail in keeping the scaffold holes.’
- ‘Compulsive working out at the gym is common, as is painstaking attention to diet and dietary supplements.’
- ‘Yesterday forensic experts continued their painstaking search for clues at the pensioner's home.’
- ‘Besides, tons of hard work, painstaking efforts and perseverance are required.’
- ‘It is a historical document showing the author's painstaking research and narrative skills.’
- ‘The secret of good tiling is painstaking preparation and accurate cutting and fixing.’
- ‘Instead art students using all sorts of craft normally do it with painstaking care.’
- ‘The foxy-coloured glazes had been applied with painstaking attention to detail.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.