Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A chronic disease of elderly people characterized by alteration of bone tissue, especially in the spine, skull, or pelvis, sometimes causing severe pain.Also called osteitis deformans
- ‘Patients with bone pain caused by Paget's disease usually describe the pain as continuous.’
- ‘Conditions such as an uncorrected fracture of the shin bone, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or Paget's disease can distort the ends of the bones and cause knock knee in adults.’
- ‘The radiologist reported changes consistent with Paget's disease of the bone.’
- ‘Because of their relative safety, bisphosphonates have been labeled (for more than two decades) for the treatment of metabolic bone disorders such as Paget's disease.’
- ‘It is indicated for the treatment of osteoporosis in post-menopausal women and the treatment of Paget's disease of bone.’
2An inflammation of the nipple associated with breast cancer.
- ‘You are correct to worry that a rash on the nipple areola area could be Paget's disease, but if the nipple itself is not involved this is much less likely.’
- ‘In about half of the cases of Paget's disease there is a lump which indicates that the underlying cancer is more developed.’
- ‘A rash, redness, scaliness around the nipple or itching that lasts several weeks could also be a sign of eczema or Paget's disease, a rare form of breast cancer.’
- ‘A prolonged rash or irritation of the nipple may indicate a special kind of breast cancer called Paget's disease, which specifically affects the nipple.’
- ‘The rash might have been eczema or dermatitis, but its location made me worry about Paget's disease of the breast.’
Late 19th century: named after Sir James Paget (1814–99), English surgeon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.