One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat powered by steam and propelled by paddle wheels.
- ‘I had never traveled anywhere by ship, unless you count the half-hour trip across the Solent to the Isle of Wight, or a jaunt on a paddle steamer down the Thames, but this would be different.’
- ‘A cheery hoot rose up from the paddle steamer, a hiss from the steam train.’
- ‘In that year a 479-ton wooden paddle steamer, the Enterprize, steamed (mostly sailed in fact) from London to Calcutta.’
- ‘Restoration of the paddle steamer will involve stripping the entire front third of the vessel before repairing the hull and refurbishing the engines.’
- ‘He had a paddle steamer built to accommodate seventy passengers and run on the Avon River between Christchurch and New Brighton.’
- ‘Play the animation to find out how steam can be used to drive a paddle steamer.’
- ‘I would then transfer onto a paddle steamer to sail down the eastern shores of the lake to a town called Mwanza, across the border in Tanganyika, where I devoutly hoped J.R. would be waiting for me.’
- ‘The Clyde must be the finest place in the world to run a paddle steamer.’
- ‘We went on a steam boat paddle steamer ride which was full of atmosphere, steaming down the river it wasn't hard to conjure up visions of Huck Finn and his mates catching Catfish.’
- ‘But one thing I remember, as we churned down the Mississippi in a painted paddle steamer, was his pride in the flood defences protecting New Orleans.’
- ‘One possibility is that the hulk is that of the iron paddle steamer, Lowestoft wrecked there in 1864.’
- ‘There's a Mississippi paddle steamer outside called ‘Dixie Queen’.’
- ‘They had travelled by train from Adelaide to Morgan and from there on the paddle steamer Ellen to their new settlement.’
- ‘Not only will you catch and see bass but you can have dinner and be entertained on aboard a paddle steamer as it sails up and down the river.’
- ‘As Stuart Spencer completed the puzzle, he realised that the picture included his late wife, Anne, in her wheelchair on a paddle steamer outside a pub near his home.’
- ‘The paddle steamer left Renmark on May the 3rd and was briefly grounded twice on its journey due to low water levels in the River Murray.’
- ‘You can still bid for three items that featured in the auction, these include: A water-colour painting of a paddle steamer, a household electrical check, and two central heating and boiler checks.’
- ‘You'll spend three nights here, travelling from Iquitos to Leticia on a paddle steamer, with visits to the rainforest, indigenous villages and the San Pablo leper colony where Guevara worked.’
- ‘Rats arrived on Anacapa Island in 1850, when the paddle steamer Winfield Scott crashed into the island.’
- ‘Apart from one inflatable dingy and the paddle steamer Waverley docked somewhere beneath us, the Clyde is empty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.