Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A military punishment of marching up and down carrying full equipment.
- ‘In the interests of anonymity, I cannot name names or call a pack drill.’
no names, no pack drill
Punishment will be prevented if names and details are not mentioned:‘that way there's no names, no pack drill - if anyone asks, I've never heard of you, ok?’
- ‘He was gesturing frantically in the direction of one of the president's bodyguards - no names, no pack drill - who was seated alongside him.’
- ‘All that leaves me to do is to thank all those record labels, bands and press agents for making these musings possible, no names no pack drill, you know who you are.’
- ‘It began with a conversation in a North Yorkshire pub - no names, no pack drill - when Tony McGurrin and Tom Watherston discussed the poor state of the glasses in which their drinks were served.’
- ‘No names, no pack drill, but you can bet ‘Jimmy Anderson’ is on the tip of his tongue.’
- ‘You know me - no names, no pack drill, no plot leaks.’
- ‘No names, no pack drill, but if you know the area, it's probably obvious where I'm referring to.’
- ‘At the very petrol station I mentioned, I encountered the charming commander - no names, no pack drill - of the aforementioned task force.’
- ‘That, at any rate, is the view of a deputy minister - no names, no pack drill - of our government.’
- ‘My theory is that certain people in high political places - no names, no pack drill - have indeed been putting together an arms cache at the museum.’
- ‘OK, there might be the odd personality clash with one or two senior members of the cabinet - no names, no pack drill - but this has more to do with unrequited personal ambition than strategic direction.’
- see pack drill
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.