Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast bowler.
- ‘The paceman picked up three wickets in India's first innings.’
- ‘It was not just spinners who bowled with a leg slip; often pacemen did so as well.’
- ‘They will consist of five specialist batsmen, one wicket keeper, two allrounders, three pacemen and two spinners.’
- ‘He understands that bowlers tire after long spells, and handles all his pacemen judiciously.’
- ‘In his absence, the paceman, Anwar Hossain, picked up three Northants wickets to advance his claims, although he is unlikely to feature in the Tests.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.