One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car that sets the pace for the warm-up lap before a race but does not take part in it, or one that controls the pace in temporarily hazardous conditions.
- ‘Among his duties is coaching the Menards Infiniti Pro Series drivers and driving the pace car for all events.’
- ‘This week we answer the question, Why do drivers swerve back and forth while running behind the pace car before a race?’
- ‘Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Johnny Rutherford, who serves as a driver coach and pace car driver for the IRL, said Patrick has all the tools needed to be a winning race car driver.’
- ‘After the dignified silence the V8s burst once more in action and with the pre-drawn grid positions giving pole to Andy Dallard #5, the cars began their rolling lap behind the pace car.’
- ‘His Grand Marshal duties also include leading the 43-car field in the pace laps from the Grand Marshal pace car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.