1Any of a class of unstable cyclic compounds formed by the addition of ozone to a carbon–carbon double bond.
- ‘Professor Sharman says the synthetic drug - based on the organic compound ozonide proved to be the answer.’
- ‘The first stage is the production of a compound called an ozonide.’
- ‘Ozone attacks a carbon-carbon double bond, initially making an ozonide, a hair-raising five-membered ring that has three oxygens in a row.’
- 1.1A salt of the anion O3−, derived from ozone.
- ‘There are a group of compounds called Ozonides, which are formed during the reaction of ozone with alkali metal hydroxides, formally containing the O3- ion.’
- ‘Most ozonides are thick oily liquids that are foul smelling.’