Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of a class of unstable cyclic compounds formed by the addition of ozone to a carbon–carbon double bond.
- ‘Professor Sharman says the synthetic drug - based on the organic compound ozonide proved to be the answer.’
- ‘The first stage is the production of a compound called an ozonide.’
- ‘Ozone attacks a carbon-carbon double bond, initially making an ozonide, a hair-raising five-membered ring that has three oxygens in a row.’
- 1.1A salt of the anion O3−, derived from ozone.
- ‘There are a group of compounds called Ozonides, which are formed during the reaction of ozone with alkali metal hydroxides, formally containing the O3- ion.’
- ‘Most ozonides are thick oily liquids that are foul smelling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.