One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sauce made with oysters and soy sauce, used especially in Chinese cooking.
- ‘Return the beef and mangetout to the wok and add the rice wine, soy, oyster sauce and sugar, tossing well (add water if dry).’
- ‘For my first course I chose the mushrooms in pastry, while Madame went for the fried beef in oyster sauce, and I followed my order with the afore-mentioned veal.’
- ‘A wide range of spicy sauces like chilly bean sauce, hoisin sauce and garlic oyster sauce are a must with the food and accompaniments like steamed/fried rice and mixed hakka noodles.’
- ‘Add the fish sauce, oyster sauce and soya bean paste and mix through well before adding the coconut milk.’
- ‘Drizzle eggs with oyster sauce and garnish with pepper, spring onions and chillies.’
- ‘Use a bottle of your favourite stir-fry sauce from the supermarket, or make your own; I like to use a mixture of dry sherry, garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and a tablespoon or so of peanut oil.’
- ‘Add the udon noodles, soy sauce and oyster sauce and cook until heated through.’
- ‘It sort of like eating apple pie without the vanilla ice cream, stir frying mixed vegetables without oyster sauce, and stewing curry lamb without fresh coconut.’
- ‘Chang brings to French cuisine unusual Chinese flourishes, including ingredients such as oyster sauce and bamboo shoots - one of his specialties is tuna tartare with ginger and caviar.’
- ‘Soy sauce gives a salty, well-rounded complexity with its mysterious fermented soybean flavour; hoi sin gives a rich, spicy fruitiness of yellow beans and vinegar; and oyster sauce adds a dense savoury character.’
- ‘Add half the spring onion, the mushrooms, pepper, chilli sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and mushroom water.’
- ‘Freshness is exalted, for example, by steaming fish in the simplest possible fashion; oyster sauce enhances poached poultry, or green vegetables barely blanched.’
- ‘Add chicken stock, season with salt, pepper, sugar and oyster sauce, thickening the sauce slightly with adding potato starch.’
- ‘Marinate sliced tofu in a mixture of chile-garlic sauce, vegetable oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and ginger for at least one hour and up to one day.’
- ‘Add the granulated sugar, soy, oyster sauce and cornstarch - one at a time - and hand-mix thoroughly after each ingredient.’
- ‘If it is your first time at Loch Fyne, then you must have, for main course, the Turbot marinated in oyster sauce, with a side order of garlic mash (I'm sorry, but I love it), and vegetables of the day.’
- ‘To make the marinade, spoon the honey and oyster sauce into a roasting tin or baking dish.’
- ‘You will easily find such commonly used items as Hoisin sauce, pea pods, gingerroot, oyster sauce, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts and chow mein noodles.’
- ‘Spicy Thailand fare was spread on the table with steamy sesame rice, hotspurs and fried beef in oyster sauce.’
- ‘Then we had a poached king fish in oyster sauce with basil, which again was superb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.