Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A sauce made with oysters and soy sauce, used especially in Chinese cooking.
- ‘Add the fish sauce, oyster sauce and soya bean paste and mix through well before adding the coconut milk.’
- ‘Chang brings to French cuisine unusual Chinese flourishes, including ingredients such as oyster sauce and bamboo shoots - one of his specialties is tuna tartare with ginger and caviar.’
- ‘Freshness is exalted, for example, by steaming fish in the simplest possible fashion; oyster sauce enhances poached poultry, or green vegetables barely blanched.’
- ‘If it is your first time at Loch Fyne, then you must have, for main course, the Turbot marinated in oyster sauce, with a side order of garlic mash (I'm sorry, but I love it), and vegetables of the day.’
- ‘Add the udon noodles, soy sauce and oyster sauce and cook until heated through.’
- ‘Marinate sliced tofu in a mixture of chile-garlic sauce, vegetable oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and ginger for at least one hour and up to one day.’
- ‘You will easily find such commonly used items as Hoisin sauce, pea pods, gingerroot, oyster sauce, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts and chow mein noodles.’
- ‘Use a bottle of your favourite stir-fry sauce from the supermarket, or make your own; I like to use a mixture of dry sherry, garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and a tablespoon or so of peanut oil.’
- ‘To make the marinade, spoon the honey and oyster sauce into a roasting tin or baking dish.’
- ‘Add the granulated sugar, soy, oyster sauce and cornstarch - one at a time - and hand-mix thoroughly after each ingredient.’
- ‘Spicy Thailand fare was spread on the table with steamy sesame rice, hotspurs and fried beef in oyster sauce.’
- ‘Add half the spring onion, the mushrooms, pepper, chilli sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and mushroom water.’
- ‘Add chicken stock, season with salt, pepper, sugar and oyster sauce, thickening the sauce slightly with adding potato starch.’
- ‘Then we had a poached king fish in oyster sauce with basil, which again was superb.’
- ‘Drizzle eggs with oyster sauce and garnish with pepper, spring onions and chillies.’
- ‘Return the beef and mangetout to the wok and add the rice wine, soy, oyster sauce and sugar, tossing well (add water if dry).’
- ‘It sort of like eating apple pie without the vanilla ice cream, stir frying mixed vegetables without oyster sauce, and stewing curry lamb without fresh coconut.’
- ‘For my first course I chose the mushrooms in pastry, while Madame went for the fried beef in oyster sauce, and I followed my order with the afore-mentioned veal.’
- ‘Soy sauce gives a salty, well-rounded complexity with its mysterious fermented soybean flavour; hoi sin gives a rich, spicy fruitiness of yellow beans and vinegar; and oyster sauce adds a dense savoury character.’
- ‘A wide range of spicy sauces like chilly bean sauce, hoisin sauce and garlic oyster sauce are a must with the food and accompaniments like steamed/fried rice and mixed hakka noodles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.