Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A widely distributed edible fungus with a greyish-brown oyster-shaped cap and a very short or absent stem, growing on the wood of broadleaved trees and causing rot.
- ‘Trish McKeggie has been growing shitake and oyster mushrooms for the past six years.’
- ‘I would have been very happy with either the Parmesan potato cake with oyster mushrooms or the rocket pancakes filled with tomato fondue and mozzarella.’
- ‘The assortment platter of warm appetizers is packed with flavour and includes grilled slices of veggies - mainly eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, sweet onion and oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘She's an expert at finding edible mushrooms and once sent over a bag of freshly collected oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘On my previous visit I had chosen the Grilled portobello and oyster mushrooms with leeks and Teleme cheese.’
- ‘Like oyster mushrooms, morels taste better in a small amount of butter than in olive oil, but again, don't overdo it.’
- ‘For instance, oyster mushrooms and straw mushrooms can be grown on the flat plains all through the year.’
- ‘Add oyster mushrooms and return steak to pan, then add a dash of Cognac or Brandy and tilt pan towards naked flame to ignite alcohol.’
- ‘Specialities are locally-grown oyster mushrooms and Northumberland Hill lamb.’
- ‘The chicken spring rolls wrapped in seaweed and duck with oyster mushrooms are especially recommended.’
- ‘A mound of baby spinach is studded with yellow and red cherry tomatoes and laced with thick bacon-y bits of pancetta, roasted shiitake and oyster mushrooms in warm sherry vinaigrette.’
- ‘Blue Valley Gardens brings about a dozen crops to market each year - broiler chickens and eggs, strawberries, Shiitake and oyster mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, garlic and herbs.’
- ‘This evening I served the steak with pak choi, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, slow roasted tomatoes, soya and lime vinaigrette and horseradish oil.’
- ‘We're equally enamored of the thin egg noodles in a fragrant shrimp-lemongrass broth, floating like a moat around an island of oyster mushrooms and baby spinach, crowned with tempura shrimp.’
- ‘I had a plenty of dried mushrooms including porcini, black trumpet, and oyster mushrooms, as well as black truffles which I had sort of wondered what to do with.’
- ‘Stamets is now a co-investigator on a grant proposal Abrams is authoring on the anti-HIV properties of oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘The ravioli of oyster mushrooms and smoked Gubeen cheese in a rosemary and hazelnut cream was pricey enough at €10, but was a superb combination of flavour and texture.’
- ‘Separated from the poisonous ones, the edible mushrooms were all fat and juicy: button-caps, worm-threads, even oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘Dip the oyster mushrooms in the turmeric and saffron purée to coat well.’
- ‘For example the oyster fungus, often called the oyster mushroom, has a very short, offset stem.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.