Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A widely distributed edible fungus with a greyish-brown oyster-shaped cap and a very short or absent stem, growing on the wood of broadleaved trees and causing rot.
- ‘Add oyster mushrooms and return steak to pan, then add a dash of Cognac or Brandy and tilt pan towards naked flame to ignite alcohol.’
- ‘A mound of baby spinach is studded with yellow and red cherry tomatoes and laced with thick bacon-y bits of pancetta, roasted shiitake and oyster mushrooms in warm sherry vinaigrette.’
- ‘Like oyster mushrooms, morels taste better in a small amount of butter than in olive oil, but again, don't overdo it.’
- ‘Separated from the poisonous ones, the edible mushrooms were all fat and juicy: button-caps, worm-threads, even oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘Specialities are locally-grown oyster mushrooms and Northumberland Hill lamb.’
- ‘Dip the oyster mushrooms in the turmeric and saffron purée to coat well.’
- ‘Stamets is now a co-investigator on a grant proposal Abrams is authoring on the anti-HIV properties of oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘I would have been very happy with either the Parmesan potato cake with oyster mushrooms or the rocket pancakes filled with tomato fondue and mozzarella.’
- ‘I had a plenty of dried mushrooms including porcini, black trumpet, and oyster mushrooms, as well as black truffles which I had sort of wondered what to do with.’
- ‘The ravioli of oyster mushrooms and smoked Gubeen cheese in a rosemary and hazelnut cream was pricey enough at €10, but was a superb combination of flavour and texture.’
- ‘On my previous visit I had chosen the Grilled portobello and oyster mushrooms with leeks and Teleme cheese.’
- ‘For example the oyster fungus, often called the oyster mushroom, has a very short, offset stem.’
- ‘Trish McKeggie has been growing shitake and oyster mushrooms for the past six years.’
- ‘This evening I served the steak with pak choi, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, slow roasted tomatoes, soya and lime vinaigrette and horseradish oil.’
- ‘The chicken spring rolls wrapped in seaweed and duck with oyster mushrooms are especially recommended.’
- ‘We're equally enamored of the thin egg noodles in a fragrant shrimp-lemongrass broth, floating like a moat around an island of oyster mushrooms and baby spinach, crowned with tempura shrimp.’
- ‘For instance, oyster mushrooms and straw mushrooms can be grown on the flat plains all through the year.’
- ‘She's an expert at finding edible mushrooms and once sent over a bag of freshly collected oyster mushrooms.’
- ‘Blue Valley Gardens brings about a dozen crops to market each year - broiler chickens and eggs, strawberries, Shiitake and oyster mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, garlic and herbs.’
- ‘The assortment platter of warm appetizers is packed with flavour and includes grilled slices of veggies - mainly eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, sweet onion and oyster mushrooms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.