Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting welding or cutting techniques using a very hot flame produced by mixing acetylene and oxygen.‘an oxyacetylene torch’‘oxyacetylene welding equipment’
- ‘The success and widespread use of this method in 20th-century sculpture has depended on the invention around 1900 of fusion welding using oxyacetylene welding equipment.’
- ‘The oxyacetylene torch, for example, produces heat by burning acetylene gas in pure oxygen.’
- ‘We use the heat produced by the burning of acetylene in the flame of the oxyacetylene torch to make welds.’
- ‘The oxyfuel gas welding process uses a flux and either an oxyacetylene or oxyhydrogen gas flame.’
- ‘These people cut through the side of the metal store with an oxyacetylene torch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.