Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Meat from the tail of a cow, used for making soup.[as modifier] ‘oxtail soup’
- ‘Add the chili pepper, peppercorns, oxtail, wine, and vinegar.’
- ‘Add the beef stock and oxtail to the stock pot as well, and place on a stovetop over medium heat.’
- ‘Place oxtail in a non-reactive dish and add herbs de Provence, chili sauce and olive oil.’
- ‘Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer and heat oxtail for 10 minutes.’
- ‘Don't be put off by the fact that they take a while to prepare, for comfort food is also about anticipation, about transforming some unpromising raw oxtail into a rich, delicious stew.’
- ‘The dish: a roasted sea scallop with serrano ham, braised oxtail, picholine olives, sweet garlic purée and crispy artichokes.’
- ‘You'll find many good pairings - steaks, roast lamb and any other ‘red’ meats and those occasions you find yourself eating oxtail.’
- ‘The restaurant will be called The Victory, and will serve a traditional menu, with items like bobotie and oxtail.’
- ‘Follow that with steamed oxtail, beef and veal kidney pudding with roast shallots and buttered carrots.’
- ‘In the nourishing-winter-stew category, my favorite dish was a mass of oxtail sandwiched among layers of ravioli skins, with two pieces of seared monkfish on top.’
- ‘A difficult matter, lots of choice - from braised oxtail to brill - and everything sounded so delicious’
- ‘On the third dish, place a warm piece of oxtail served with an oxtail-filled wonton.’
- ‘Just the other day, they made some ravioli stuffed with oxtail.’
- ‘It was as tender and succulent as any oxtail I can remember.’
- ‘There's also oxtail on the menu, as well as rice pilau, and, if you call ahead, the owner will make ginger beer.’
- ‘But don't forget oxtail and tongue, both of which will probably need to be ordered specially.’
- ‘I love their beautiful rich soup which has shreds of oxtail in it.’
- ‘Of course, it's quite impossible to live without roast rib of beef (of which more on Friday) and braised oxtail.’
- ‘Midas' mom, who has had my oxtail and my stew peas, told me to open a restaurant!’
- ‘Braised oxtail is a well-known example in England.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.