One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brown African bird related to the starlings, feeding on parasites that infest the skins of large grazing mammals.
- ‘Then of course there were redbilled oxpeckers riding a white rhino and de-ticking as only oxpeckers know how.’
- ‘Clouds of oxpeckers chirp above the buffalo, while cattle egrets, a series of white splashes, rise and fall at their feet.’
- ‘The red-billed oxpecker keeps ticks and other vermin from the skin.’
- ‘I have been involved with redbilled oxpeckers since 1996, when the project to bring them into our area started.’
- ‘We were on our second day, descended a hill when we spotted four redbilled oxpeckers riding a white rhino, busily probing folds of skin, ears and even nostrils for ticks, their primary food source.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.