Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that tends to bring about oxidation by being reduced and gaining electrons.
- ‘Bacteria act as oxidizing agents, releasing electrons to an anode immersed in the wastewater.’
- ‘When an oxidizing agent removes electrons from a molecule, the chemical structure of the molecule is changed, and the physical properties (like color) are altered.’
- ‘The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.’
- ‘The oxidizing agent causes the oxidation of an atom by receiving an electron from that atom and is itself reduced.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.