One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that tends to bring about oxidation by being reduced and gaining electrons.
- ‘When an oxidizing agent removes electrons from a molecule, the chemical structure of the molecule is changed, and the physical properties (like color) are altered.’
- ‘Bacteria act as oxidizing agents, releasing electrons to an anode immersed in the wastewater.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘The oxidizing agent causes the oxidation of an atom by receiving an electron from that atom and is itself reduced.’
- ‘The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.