Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that tends to bring about oxidation by being reduced and gaining electrons.
- ‘The oxidizing agent causes the oxidation of an atom by receiving an electron from that atom and is itself reduced.’
- ‘The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘When an oxidizing agent removes electrons from a molecule, the chemical structure of the molecule is changed, and the physical properties (like color) are altered.’
- ‘Bacteria act as oxidizing agents, releasing electrons to an anode immersed in the wastewater.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.