Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process or result of oxidizing or being oxidized.
discoloration, rust, tarnishing, blackening, film, patinaView synonyms
- ‘Elemental bromine is made by oxidation, removal of electrons from bromide ions in brine.’
- ‘The silver metal gives up some of its electrons and forms silver sulfide in a process called oxidation.’
- ‘The drop in pH is probably mainly due to oxidation of upward diffusing sulphide.’
- ‘In the case of ethanol, oxidation can occur under the action of certain species of bacteria.’
- ‘On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.’
Late 18th century: from French ( modern French oxydation), from oxider ‘oxidize’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.