Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme which promotes the transfer of a hydrogen atom from a particular substrate to an oxygen molecule, forming water or hydrogen peroxide.[with modifier] ‘cytochrome oxidase’
- ‘Respiration in wheat endosperm was measured together with the activities of citrate synthase and cytochrome oxidase.’
- ‘First, peroxidases and oxidases follow a different time-course of induction during wound healing.’
- ‘Polyphenol oxidase is the enzyme that makes phenolics react to form brown pigments.’
- ‘Briefly, plasma lactic acid is converted to pyruvate and hydrogen peroxide by lactate oxidase.’
- ‘Despite many important advances in the understanding of terminal oxidases, the mechanism by which the electron transfer events are coupled to proton translocation is unknown.’
Late 19th century: from French oxydase, from oxyde oxide.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.