Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oxidizing agent.
- ‘Superoxide acts as a reducing agent and helps produce other oxidants through chemical reactions.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘In general, the surface can be treated chemically, using solvents, oxidants, strong acids, or bases.’
- ‘The oxidant will react with most organic materials and certain inorganic materials under the conditions of the test.’
- ‘Most of the oxidants in cigarette smoke are not ordinary atoms or molecules, but ‘free radicals’.’
Late 19th century: from French ( modern French oxydant), present participle of oxider ‘oxidize’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.