One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a process or environment) in which oxygen is involved or present.
- ‘Some groups of marine bacteria within the proteobacteria are capable of anoxygenic photosynthesis in oxic environments.’
- ‘Virtually all organisms that survive in oxic environments, whether they are capable of aerobic or anaerobic lifestyles or both, contain enzymes that convert reactive oxygen intermediates to innocuous compounds.’
- ‘Degradation of dissolved organic matter in oxic and anoxic lake water’
- ‘Thus, deposition graded gradually from anoxic environments below the storm wave base to oxic environments above the storm wave base.’
- ‘A recently described unicellular chlorophytic alga isolated from meromictic Mono Lake, California, occupies a niche that spans two environments: the upper oxic mixolimnion and the deeper anoxic and highly reducing monimolimnion.’
1960s: from ox(ide) or ox(ygen) + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.