One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A dark blue, typically with a purple tinge.
sky-blue, azure, cobalt, cobalt blue, sapphire, cerulean, navy, navy blue, saxe, saxe blue, oxford blue, cambridge blue, ultramarine, lapis lazuli, indigo, aquamarine, turquoise, teal, teal blue, cyan, of the colour of the sky, of the colour of the seaView synonyms
- ‘This latest Oxford Companion comes in the well known Oxford blue binding and runs to almost 1000 pages.’
- ‘The present rugby club's badge was accepted and the club colours will be Cambridge and Oxford blue.’
2A person who has represented Oxford University at a particular sport in a match against Cambridge University.
- ‘Old Wellingtonians from Berkshire, UK, may have fielded two Oxford blues but they were not prepared for the resolve of the Panthers.’
- ‘No Oxford Blues in our college, just Oxford blues.’
- ‘Former Oxford blue Will made a century and Lawrence made an unbeaten half-century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.