Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curved lake formed from a horseshoe bend in a river where the main stream has cut across the narrow end and no longer flows around the loop of the bend.→ oxbow
- ‘South Moravia is home to extensive marshes, oxbow lakes and the largest fragments of hardwood floodplain forest in Central Europe.’
- ‘Hereabouts the river meanders; there is a hint of an oxbow lake.’
- ‘Just across the Mobile County line, pine plantations yield to a primeval landscape of moss-draped trees and oxbow lakes.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a small family of endangered giant river otters lolls gracefully in a protected area of an oxbow lake nearby.’
- ‘In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.