One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A curved lake formed from a horseshoe bend in a river where the main stream has cut across the narrow end and no longer flows around the loop of the bend.
- ‘In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a small family of endangered giant river otters lolls gracefully in a protected area of an oxbow lake nearby.’
- ‘Just across the Mobile County line, pine plantations yield to a primeval landscape of moss-draped trees and oxbow lakes.’
- ‘Hereabouts the river meanders; there is a hint of an oxbow lake.’
- ‘South Moravia is home to extensive marshes, oxbow lakes and the largest fragments of hardwood floodplain forest in Central Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.