Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An antibiotic drug made by chemical modification of penicillin and used to treat bacterial infections.
- ‘Dicloxacillin, oxacillin, first-generation cephalosporins, or amoxicillin-clavulanate are also acceptable alternatives.’
- ‘Beta-lactam antibiotics include methicillin and other more common antibiotics such as oxacillin, penicillin and amoxicillin.’
- ‘The patient was switch to intravenous oxacillin and cefuroxime.’
- ‘A high proportion of these bacteria demonstrate resistance to multiple antibiotic medications, especially to methicillin and oxacillin.’
- ‘Nafcillin and oxacillin come in oral preparations but are poorly absorbed.’
1960s: blend of oxazole and penicillin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.