One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Anything.‘I didn't say owt’
- ‘As I'd not drank owt at the reception, this wasn't an issue for me.’
- ‘Tha's never seen owt like that oop here, or words to that effect.’
- ‘I'm flogging off the precious things and owt that's not nailed down.’
- ‘Also notable, if you will, are ‘When in doubt, do nowt’ (great moral support for procrastinators) and the mercenary ‘Never do owt for nowt’.’
- ‘Truth be told, I've not even been doing owt exciting.’
Mid 19th century: variant of aught.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.