Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A product manufactured specially for a retailer and bearing the retailer's name.‘my dogs eat the supermarket's own brand’[as modifier] ‘own-brand products’
- ‘Manufacturer and retailer of own-brand ice cream.’
- ‘Axxis International is one of the country's leading manufacturers of own-brand cosmetics and toiletries.’
- ‘The Co-op supermarket chain announced today it has removed a range of chemicals from its own-brand household cleaning products.’
- ‘Marks & Spencer for example, are already using up to 30 per cent of plastic stoppers in their own-brand wines.’
- ‘All the toxins will be banned from Co-op own-brand products, ranging from household cleaners to fabric used in garden furniture.’
- ‘The products selected for inclusion in the survey were mainly Lidl own-brand products for ease of comparison.’
- ‘The UK-based retailer said consumers were worried about the own-brand products, according to customer surveys.’
- ‘Retailers have been forced to rethink their own-brand policies because of the onslaught from the German firms.’
- ‘Promote your own-brand service using existing marketing resources’
- ‘‘However, I am concerned that in the case of own-brand products the labels do not currently provide country-of-origin information,’ he said.’
- ‘The company had become only too aware of the power of the major retailers who had developed their own-brand ranges in direct competition with those of Heinz.’
- ‘In tests a supermarket own-brand shampoo priced at just 68p scored highly while a make used widely in hairdressers, and costing £9.95, performed badly.’
- ‘Some 53% of people surveyed purchased only branded items and 47% purchased both brand and own-brand products.’
- ‘The fat and salt levels in many own-brand products contrasted with those of well known brands.’
- ‘It instead talks about how Wal-Mart has their own-brand toys made in China, and how they sell them at a profit.’
- ‘As her husband's star dips, Amanda seems in the process of reinventing herself as something of a vamp, although in C-list style it is rather a supermarket own-brand version of a vamp.’
- ‘The problem is also an opportunity - in the same period that the market depressed, our own-brand sales have grown.’
- ‘So where does this leave their own-brand products?’
- ‘M & S said it would return to selling own-brand products in order to guarantee customer quality and value.’
- ‘Ideally, your sales targets should be specified with regard to each individual segment of your business - including own-brand products, established brands and other clearly defined areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.