Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tubular organ through which a female insect or fish deposits eggs.‘the female ichneumon wasp has an ovipositor like a dagger with which she drills a hole in the wood’
- ‘The female ovipositor becomes loosely articulated.’
- ‘At this stage, the conical ovipositor of the female becomes visible.’
- ‘Injuries were visible as sclerotized scars in the female ovipositor, and their occurrence increased with mating frequency.’
- ‘After we placed a wasp on the fruit, she typically initiated searching, which involved slow scanning of the fruit surface using her antennae, and probing with her ovipositor inside fruit wounds and punctures in search for eggs.’
- ‘Medflies ruin crops when fertile females use their tubelike ovipositors to punch holes in the skin of a ripening fruit or vegetable, then pump their eggs inside.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.