One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or resembling sheep.‘the ovine immune system’
- ‘The level of certainty is highest for bovine clones, followed in decreasing order of certainty, by porcine, caprine, and ovine clones.’
- ‘Paul's with Abbie and an ovine friend in search of fossils.’
- ‘But the Maryland team remain convinced that the bovine, porcine, ovine or avian origins of what they can create will give them an edge over anything that can currently be done with a soya bean.’
- ‘Continuing with this same train of logic, ‘sheep’ should be plural, but an individual ovine creature ought really to be called a ‘shoop’.’
- ‘He could picture each of their ovine faces, and he was torn.’
Early 19th century: from late Latin ovinus, from Latin ovis ‘sheep’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.