Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[with adverbial of place] Spend the winter.‘many birds overwinter in equatorial regions’
hibernate, lie dormant, winter, overwinter, lie torpid, go to sleepView synonyms
- ‘Most of them overwinter elsewhere, like the broad-tailed and rufous hummingbirds that pass the cold months in central Mexico, migrating back in summer to drink flow-er nectar and make their chicks on high.’
- ‘Though the population is still fragile, today as many as 1,000 birds overwinter in the state.’
- ‘The film director humorously compared the number of people who rectified their name with the number of black-faced spoonbills, a protected migratory bird that overwinters in Taiwan.’
- ‘They seldom overwinter north of southern Kansas, where they can be a major pest of winter wheat, especially when mild winters permit reproduction and survival.’
- ‘The RSPB was particularly keen to provide a replacement habitat for the black-tail godwit, which overwinters on the Humber, before returning to Iceland in early spring.’
2(of an insect, plant, etc.) live through the winter.‘the germinated seeds will overwinter’
- ‘Our two major species overwinter as eggs in the soil, hatching in early June to feed on corn roots.’
- ‘Seedcorn beetles overwinter as adults or pupae.’
- ‘The best control measure is to collect and destroy fallen leaves in the autumn, as this will prevent the fungus overwintering on them and infecting the new foliage in the spring.’
- ‘When temperatures drop, stable flies overwinter as larvae or pupae in piles of larval breeding material.’
- ‘Larvae overwinter in the stalk, pupate in early summer, and adults emerge from June to September.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.