One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To a very great degree or with a great majority.‘the country voted overwhelmingly for independence’as submodifier ‘the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive’
- ‘In fact, the perspectives are overwhelmingly critical; any implication otherwise is preposterous.’
- ‘Versions of the bill had already overwhelmingly passed both houses of Congress.’
- ‘Opinion among farmers and the public is overwhelmingly opposed to the introduction of GM seeds.’
- ‘Government departments offered their workers terrible pay offers last year, which were overwhelmingly rejected.’
- ‘The cultural benefits are, however, overwhelmingly heartening.’
- ‘And so far, the main beneficiaries (and overwhelmingly so) are women.’
- ‘Voters in Lafayette, Louisiana, overwhelmingly approved a plan for a city-owned fiber optic network.’
- ‘Respondents overwhelmingly preferred face-to-face interaction with the professor followed by email contact.’
- ‘In the latter period, forecasts have been overwhelmingly too pessimistic.’
- ‘He had undertaken a Titanic revolt against an overwhelmingly strong opponent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.