Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Water (a plant, sports field, etc.) too much:‘your cutting needs some water, but make sure you don't overwater it’
- ‘If the leaves appear soft or mushy, they may have been overwatered and are not likely to survive after being transplanted.’
- ‘Your best bet, if this is your problem, is to plant in well-draining soil, avoid overwatering and place in sun.’
- ‘Remember, hydrangeas don't want to be soggy or overwatered - just nice and moist!’
- ‘Some parts of these slightly rolling irrigated fields were being overwatered by as much as 20 percent.’
- ‘At the same time, be sure your plant is not getting too much water, either by overwatering or being planted in a soil that does not properly drain.’
- ‘It is sensitive to overwatering and poor drainage.’
- ‘Then an enthusiastic student inadvertently overwatered the colony just before a weekend, leaving a flood inside the termites' box.’
- ‘The second year I compensated and overwatered the plant.’
- ‘Many rhododendrons have been killed by overwatering in sites where drainage was faulty.’
- ‘That said, one of the most common ways of killing an orchid is by overwatering.’
- ‘Do not let the plant become too dry, but avoid overwatering.’
- ‘Spray to keep the medium moist until germination, but avoid overwatering to discourage fungal diseases.’
- ‘If rains or overwatering continues, the fungus can spread to the base of the plant and it can die.’
- ‘However, the gradual loss of the foliage from your plant suggests that it has been overwatered.’
- ‘This is NOT a good idea, as potted plants will die from overwatering more than any other reason.’
- ‘Keep the turf cut at about 3 inches, leave clippings to recycle organic matter, and avoid overwatering.’
- ‘When your potting soil is kept continuously moist by overwatering, the fungi attack your seedlings.’
- ‘If planting one without a drainage hole, you'll need to be careful about overwatering while the bulbs are forming their roots.’
- ‘Drain holes prevent overwatering and help provide air circulation necessary for healthy plant growth.’
- ‘Just as one can overwater a flower, one can overattend a relationship.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.