One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without concealment or secrecy; openly.‘the selection policy was not overtly stated’as submodifier ‘some of the narrative is overtly sexual’
- ‘Well, I don't think overtly commercial large-budget films offer the viewers/fans much.’
- ‘Somewhere in the world, the US has been more or less continuously at war, overtly or covertly, since 1945.’
- ‘Ultimately, both chains seem to be losing out to rivals that appeal overtly to the more health-conscious.’
- ‘The government's response to the firefighters' demands has been overtly hostile from the outset.’
- ‘Many of Alexander's architectural achievements in Rome were overtly political gestures.’
- ‘The doctor's statement is so overtly sexist that I don't feel the need to elaborate any further.’
- ‘The reason for doing something symbolic rather than overtly religious is that we're not just talking to a church audience.’
- ‘Those views, though misguided, were not overtly racist.’
- ‘For the first time in a lot of years, the governor has stepped overtly into political affairs.’
- ‘The stylistic range of this work is broad, and the content is not always overtly African American.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.