One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without concealment or secrecy; openly.‘the selection policy was not overtly stated’as submodifier ‘some of the narrative is overtly sexual’
- ‘The stylistic range of this work is broad, and the content is not always overtly African American.’
- ‘Well, I don't think overtly commercial large-budget films offer the viewers/fans much.’
- ‘Ultimately, both chains seem to be losing out to rivals that appeal overtly to the more health-conscious.’
- ‘Somewhere in the world, the US has been more or less continuously at war, overtly or covertly, since 1945.’
- ‘The reason for doing something symbolic rather than overtly religious is that we're not just talking to a church audience.’
- ‘The government's response to the firefighters' demands has been overtly hostile from the outset.’
- ‘Many of Alexander's architectural achievements in Rome were overtly political gestures.’
- ‘For the first time in a lot of years, the governor has stepped overtly into political affairs.’
- ‘Those views, though misguided, were not overtly racist.’
- ‘The doctor's statement is so overtly sexist that I don't feel the need to elaborate any further.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.