One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cover the surface of; spread over.‘a giant bramble had overspread the path’
envelop, shroud, swathe, veil, cloak, cloud, submerge, enfold, enwrap, surround, buryView synonyms
- ‘A wry grin overspread her lips as she found herself walking towards a small hut.’
- ‘The sky of the plant was overspread with smoke of the burning tires and furniture.’
- ‘Minute fungi overspread the whole exterior, hanging in a fine tangled webwork from the eaves.’
- ‘Between heaven and earth He separately placed in order men and things, all overspread by the heavens.’
- ‘The wind battered the stable and brought down dead matter from the oak that overspread it.’
Old English ofersprǣdan (see over-, spread).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.