Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Bigger than the usual size.‘an oversized T-shirt’
well built, sturdily built, heavily built, sturdy, brawny, burly, broad-shouldered, muscular, muscly, well muscled, robust, rugged, lusty, herculean, bulky, strapping, thickset, stocky, solid, hefty, meatylarge, sizeable, of considerable size, substantial, considerable, great, huge, immense, enormous, extensive, colossal, massive, mammoth, vast, prodigious, tremendous, gigantic, giant, monumental, mighty, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, epic, mountainous, megalithic, monstrous, brobdingnagianView synonyms
- ‘When are you going to put them all in an oversized coffee table book, Ralph?’
- ‘I pick up the oversized menu and clench it so tight I start to get a cramp in my thumb.’
- ‘If you think you are not voluptuous enough, then a belted coat with an oversized collar makes the waist look smaller.’
- ‘The little burg where I live often gets compared to an oversized country town, for a number of reasons.’
- ‘That's the oversized mandalas he's speaking about, the ones he created in New York.’
- ‘Avoid yanking on zippers or buckles, and don't force oversized or heavy objects inside.’
- ‘Consider purchasing an oversize sweater in good condition from a local thrift shop or rummage sale and cutting a new sweater from it.’
- ‘Also wrong are giant paperclips, really big cutlery and oversized furniture.’
- ‘He was wearing an oversized leather jacket with enormous epaulets and was buying some Gouda.’
- ‘It's a pity that some researchers choose to turn their oversized skulls to such unworthy subjects.’
- ‘Large, oversized artworks also provide immediate impact, and a sense of individual character.’
- ‘The mains arrived on big white plates, looking like oversized palates of paint with sauces vibrantly red.’
- ‘We have more oversized urns than anyone might consider at all rational.’
- ‘Bring a chair and sit on it, then weep into an oversized handkerchief.’
- ‘They were squatted all along the river bank with oversized pads of cartridge paper and soft dark pencils.’
- ‘There will always be something about a Merc that makes you want to wear platinum jewellery and oversized vests.’
- ‘He said oversized and illuminated signs were not appropriate in the area.’
- ‘Her fashion changed from designer jeans and colourful tops to black and oversized baggy clothes.’
- ‘I am in search of a comfortable outside chair and an oversized fan.’
- ‘Calling me back, she pointed to an oversized letter B on a pillar about a foot and a half away from where I was standing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.