Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Bigger than the usual size:‘an oversized T-shirt’
well built, sturdily built, heavily built, sturdy, brawny, burly, broad-shouldered, muscular, muscly, well muscled, robust, rugged, lusty, herculean, bulky, strapping, thickset, stocky, solid, hefty, meatylarge, sizeable, of considerable size, substantial, considerable, great, huge, immense, enormous, extensive, colossal, massive, mammoth, vast, prodigious, tremendous, gigantic, giant, monumental, mighty, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, epic, mountainous, megalithic, monstrous, brobdingnagianView synonyms
- ‘Bring a chair and sit on it, then weep into an oversized handkerchief.’
- ‘He said oversized and illuminated signs were not appropriate in the area.’
- ‘I am in search of a comfortable outside chair and an oversized fan.’
- ‘When are you going to put them all in an oversized coffee table book, Ralph?’
- ‘The little burg where I live often gets compared to an oversized country town, for a number of reasons.’
- ‘I pick up the oversized menu and clench it so tight I start to get a cramp in my thumb.’
- ‘We have more oversized urns than anyone might consider at all rational.’
- ‘Calling me back, she pointed to an oversized letter B on a pillar about a foot and a half away from where I was standing.’
- ‘That's the oversized mandalas he's speaking about, the ones he created in New York.’
- ‘Consider purchasing an oversize sweater in good condition from a local thrift shop or rummage sale and cutting a new sweater from it.’
- ‘Avoid yanking on zippers or buckles, and don't force oversized or heavy objects inside.’
- ‘The mains arrived on big white plates, looking like oversized palates of paint with sauces vibrantly red.’
- ‘They were squatted all along the river bank with oversized pads of cartridge paper and soft dark pencils.’
- ‘Also wrong are giant paperclips, really big cutlery and oversized furniture.’
- ‘If you think you are not voluptuous enough, then a belted coat with an oversized collar makes the waist look smaller.’
- ‘Her fashion changed from designer jeans and colourful tops to black and oversized baggy clothes.’
- ‘He was wearing an oversized leather jacket with enormous epaulets and was buying some Gouda.’
- ‘Large, oversized artworks also provide immediate impact, and a sense of individual character.’
- ‘There will always be something about a Merc that makes you want to wear platinum jewellery and oversized vests.’
- ‘It's a pity that some researchers choose to turn their oversized skulls to such unworthy subjects.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.