Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lacking sophistication and subtlety:‘an oversimple theory of human nature’
facile, superficial, oversimple, oversimplified, schematic, black and whiteView synonyms
- ‘The all-day menu pasted up in the window seemed over-simple and even off-putting.’
- ‘I must point out that my account is over-simple and somewhat idealized.’
- ‘That argument is unfortunately over-simple.’
- ‘Today such technologically determinate arguments seem over-simple.’
- ‘"I was just following orders" is the slightly oversimple but not really inaccurate way we remember their defense.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.