One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shoe worn over a normal shoe, typically made either of rubber to protect the normal shoe or of felt to protect a floor surface.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Bathe your feet before starting in cold weather, and wear loose overshoes and gloves two or three sizes too large.’
- ‘His Velcro overshoes squished upon the carpet as he walked back to his seat.’
- ‘Hunting in snow, I'd wear heavy wool socks, shoes, and rubber overshoes.’
- ‘The only way I would know if people were there is if they left their overshoes outside, in the hallway.’
- ‘When George comes downstairs and is about to leave for a visit with Emily, his mother reminds him to put on his overshoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.