Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having unusually strong sexual desires:‘a succession of oversexed gigolos’
- ‘The females then fly off to seek new hosts in which to insert their eggs while their brother-cum-husband expires, oversexed but flightless.’
- ‘One trailer was blasting out some local Top 40, MTV-breed music, all ditzy oversexed singers and anonymous backup musicians.’
- ‘The aristocracy are made to look like buffoons; the women swoon, the maids are oversexed, and the artist himself - the center of everyone's fawning attention - plays the dandy.’
- ‘We're overpaid and overfed, we're oversexed (I've heard it said).’
- ‘Oversized, oversexed and over here - the American grey squirrel has largely displaced its indigenous cousin since arriving in the 19th century and now outnumbers it 66 to one.’
- ‘The original show was your post-Kennedy New Frontier view of the future, with an oversexed cowboy at the helm.’
- ‘We're told that the oversexed staffers were boozing it up at the bar after closing when things got physical.’
- ‘You easily resolve conflicts of interest between head and loins, unlike those squirrelly Geminis or those oversexed Scorpios.’
- ‘But because it was a girl, she has been dismissed as another oversexed fan that knew what she was doing.’
- ‘In my opinion this is just giving oversexed males a bogus set of Darwinian credentials.’
- ‘Despite the collegiate atmosphere, the mix of oversexed students and undersexed professors and beer that was on tap 24 / 7, the whole place seemed to reek of Valentine's Day.’
- ‘The enemy in this movie isn't some super-human slasher with a taste for nubile prom queens and oversexed jocks; it's the minds of the victims themselves.’
- ‘He is oversexed and sadistic in nature with no individuality or personal characteristics or experiences.’
- ‘Because of this some people are inclined to view her as an oversexed and nymphomaniacal creature.’
- ‘Marriage only provides one party with their objective. So avoid marriage is the advice, stick to being an oversexed couple.’
- ‘You put your head out of that window, and I'm locking you in the trunk, you oversexed Alsatian.’
- ‘She's been a young teen rebel, a slightly scary oversexed floozy, the wife of the Argentinean President and a terrible, terrible actress.’
- ‘When I first went out to readings and met people I did get a sense that they hoped this blowsy, loudmouthed, oversexed creature was going to burst forth.’
- ‘The American mink is oversexed and, unfortunately, over here.’
- ‘It has been said that our culture is rapidly becoming oversexed or even hypersexed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.