One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively scrupulous.‘life was often too difficult for working-class mothers to be overscrupulous’
scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finickyView synonyms
- ‘Luther always claimed to have been a good, if somewhat overscrupulous monk, and Lortz found no evidence whatever to doubt his claim.’
- ‘So we now get stories such as that of an army's nighttime panic when the imagination produces non-existent enemies or a theologically significant animal fable about an overscrupulous ass and a self-serving wolf.’
- ‘Maybe little children, like overscrupulous believers, see things that the rest of us do not.’
- ‘But Papa and his partner Huna were not always overscrupulous in their business.’
- ‘But they were blocked by overscrupulous higher-ups who ‘want you to kill the guy, but not the guy next to him,’ as one of his sources in the military put it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.