One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in bridge, whist, and similar card games) play a trump that is higher than one already played in the same trick.‘there was a danger that West would be able to overruff’
- ‘Fine so far, as if South had ruffed low, East would have overruffed and returned a trump.’
- ‘If West ruffs with his jack, dummy overruffs; if West ruffs with the ace, dummy discards.’
- ‘B plays his queen of spades and C not wanting to overruff with the 5 (a very high trump) plays his 5.’
An act of overruffing.‘when you see the chance of an easy overruff, don't be in too much of a hurry to take it’
- ‘He considered a crossruff, but there was a considerable danger that East would be able to score an overruff with the spade nine.’
- ‘Accurate defense usually requires careful timing. Consider the alternatives before you routinely try for a ruff or an overruff.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.