Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.‘an overrated player’
assess too highly, overestimate, overvalue, prize too highly, rate too highly, think too much of, exaggerate the worth of, attach too much importance topraise too highly, exaggerate the merits of, over-praise, oversell, glorify, magnifyblow upoverprizeView synonyms
- ‘Conversation is overrated anyway, though don't tell that to the waiters here.’
- ‘‘A vast array of individuals seriously overrate the importance of money in making themselves, and others, happy,’ said the strategist in a recent memo to clients.’
- ‘This would also get rid of problem number two, which is cleanliness - a very overrated virtue.’
- ‘Communication is heavily overrated as a means of resolving issues and accomplishing things.’
- ‘That being said, I would like to repeat something that I've said before: namely, that I think that America overrates the importance of a college education.’
- ‘There are those who say that he is overrated on some counts - that he made some bad Beethoven recordings, and so on.’
- ‘On the other hand, maybe sanity is overrated, and a decent sabbatical from fiction is just what my brain needs to come up with loads of exciting new ideas.’
- ‘You may now safely consider me to have overrated the movie.’
- ‘Dignity is overrated, especially when surrounded by so much spangle and sequin.’
- ‘The existence of one billion squatters might suggest that ownership is overrated.’
- ‘Last night I gave you one of the most overrated operas in the repertory; tonight it's one of the most underrated.’
- ‘It would not be his fault if he were overrated; it would be the fault of the (mostly white) writers who overrate him.’
- ‘The press failed just as miserably in New Hampshire - but this time by overestimating and overrating him.’
- ‘Self-esteem is not overrated - it is critical in a healthy, balanced human being.’
- ‘I'm also of the opinion that both the product marketers and the idea marketers are vastly overrating the level of influence weblogs have attained.’
- ‘Sagittarians tend to overrate the benefits of activity.’
- ‘Traditional plus-minus systems tend to overrate average players on good teams and underrate good players on lousy ones.’
- ‘Conversely, nurses overrated emotional needs of patients as indicators of caring.’
- ‘In your opinion, who is the most overrated celebrity today?’
- ‘I believe this to be the true king of the jungle and not that overrated pretender, the lion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.