One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively proud.‘some of the independent artists were overproud of their independence’
domineering, dominating, autocratic, tyrannical, despotic, heavy-handed, oppressive, high-handed, bullying, high and mighty, lordly, lording it, officious, masterful, dictatorial, bossy, imperious, pontifical, pompous, peremptory, arrogant, cocksure, proud, overweening, presumptuous, opinionated, dogmaticView synonyms
- ‘I have been quiet and polite - I am overproud of being quiet and polite at such events - but now a snort rips out of my nose.’
- ‘I had a fun time playing an over-proud enslaved Amazon Queen.’
- ‘I'm not over-proud of my part in the drama.’
- ‘In a striking letter to The Times of 22 February 1855 he called upon the government to resist the humbug of public opinion and pull back from its over-proud and un-Christian attempt to humiliate Russia.’
- ‘I was overproud of our accomplishments, of my culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.