Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Prescribe (a drug or treatment) in greater amounts or on more occasions than necessary.‘doctors have been overprescribing antibiotics for decades’
- ‘Stimulant treatment of ADHD has long been the subject of controversy, with some arguing that the drug is overprescribed and even dangerous because it can be abused.’
- ‘Older adults often are overprescribed antibiotics for treatment of chronic coughs with thickened sputum.’
- ‘Opponents of the use of Ritalin in ADHD say the diagnosis is overused and the drug is greatly overprescribed.’
- ‘Lots of well-known people over the years have been victimized by a medical establishment that overprescribes all kinds of drugs, including painkillers.’
- ‘It is very important that antibiotics are not overprescribed, but that comes back partly to the demands that patients frequently put on their doctors.’
- ‘Overusing broad-spectrum antibiotics is just as bad as overprescribing antibiotics in general when it comes to fostering bacterial resistance to antibiotics.’
- ‘I have always heard that these drugs are overprescribed.’
- ‘In countries like Britain antibiotics have been overprescribed by doctors.’
- ‘Physicians overprescribe antibiotics because of patient demand and fear of lawsuits.’
- ‘He lost his license for overprescribing narcotics.’
- ‘Limiting the use of antibiotics on animals may not completely stop the growth of antibiotic resistance (the drugs are also overprescribed by doctors) but it's a good place to start.’
- ‘In contrast, boys may be overprescribed some psychotropic medications.’
- ‘Costs are spiralling upward because doctors tend to overprescribe drugs, particularly to the elderly, and they tend to prescribe new, expensive drugs when a cheaper alternative is available.’
- ‘Guided by popular media reports, we may hastily conclude that doctors, by overprescribing antibiotics for people, are solely to blame for growing resistance.’
- ‘Though it's probably true that antidepressant medication is overprescribed right now in America, it is nonetheless a crucial way for depressed people to get help.’
- ‘Antimicrobial drugs are overprescribed and inappropriately used.’
- ‘They thought physicians contributed to this dependence by overprescribing medication and supporting patients in excessive use of medications.’
- ‘The report urges continued vigilance against overprescribing antibiotics.’
- ‘Physicians cite diagnostic uncertainty, time pressure, and patient demand as the primary reasons for their tendency to overprescribe antibiotics.’
- ‘I love your philosophy, and I certainly agree that many medicines are overprescribed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.