One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Payment in excess of what is due.‘a refund for overpayment of tax’count noun ‘he received £20,000 in benefit overpayments’
- ‘Most flexible mortgage lenders allow you to make overpayments by up to 10% each year.’
- ‘And you can overpay on both mortgages: the first deal deal permits overpayment of 10% a year.’
- ‘Steps are already being taken to recover the overpayment in full.’
- ‘About 20 current firefighters are each owed about $1,000 due to similar pension overpayments that the district has not returned.’
- ‘Altogether, 1.9 billion was sent out in tax credit overpayments, of which about 600 million was caused by computer or clerical errors.’
- ‘A spokesman for HMRC said the current level of overpayment is less than half the level in the tax year ending 2004.’
- ‘The Revenue Commissioners have been loathe to give any information on the matter of tax overpayments by PAYE workers.’
- ‘In the cases of overpayment, the council can impose an administrative penalty, up to 30 per cent of the value of the overpayment.’
- ‘The September overpayment can be deducted from the next spousal support payment made.’
- ‘Look on credit card records to discover money hidden by an overpayment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.