Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
On the other side of the page:‘an information sheet is printed overleaf’
- ‘The responsibility for the payment of fees remains with the party to whom the letter overleaf is addressed.’
- ‘In other cases, if you accept that we had the right to seize the things listed overleaf, we may return them to you on certain conditions.’
- ‘The woeful story of the debt burden is illustrated in the map overleaf.’
- ‘I showed her she was looking at the wrong page, and that overleaf my current - and valid - visa could be seen.’
- ‘The response page should keep you busy for some time with links to servers that bear default pages similar to the one pictured overleaf.’
- ‘The table overleaf lists some examples of both types of drivers.’
- ‘This pattern of discovery may be schematized as in the figure overleaf.’
- ‘If I may turn overleaf, paragraph 3 is not contentious.’
- ‘The requested dates of work overleaf have been provisionally booked.’
- ‘Do let the magazine team know what you think, by writing to the address overleaf.’
- ‘On this leaflet it stated that customers should refer to the calendar overleaf for details of the recycling collection dates.’
- ‘The seven parts are labelled as stated in the table overleaf, which shows how the parts are distributed between the two sources.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.