Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Extremely happy.‘all of them were overjoyed at my success’
ecstatic, euphoric, thrilled, elated, delighted, on cloud nine, on cloud seven, treading on air, walking on air, in seventh heaven, jubilant, rapturous, beside oneself with joy, jumping for joy, exultant, transported, delirious, enraptured, blissful, in raptures, as pleased as punch, cock-a-hoop, as happy as a sandboy, as happy as larry, like a child with a new toyover the moon, on top of the world, on a high, tickled pinkmade upas happy as a clamwrappedView synonyms
- ‘An overjoyed Kelly hopped all over the stage, and her victory dance was her best performance of the night.’
- ‘Both students and teachers were overjoyed when DMS clocks were declared the winners.’
- ‘We spoke about continuing the relationship as we had both missed each other, and I was overjoyed.’
- ‘Obedient but hardly overjoyed, he travelled to Pakistan with his father in October 2001.’
- ‘They cry whenever their children excel themselves, and are overjoyed when their friends are successful.’
- ‘Johnson was also overjoyed with the success as his charge tackled three miles for the first time.’
- ‘What's more, I'm absolutely overjoyed by the knowledge that I own but two of their numerous albums.’
- ‘Parents are so overjoyed with their children that they never say no to them.’
- ‘This is Bucky's first trip to Ireland and he was overjoyed to have the opportunity to enjoy such a festival.’
- ‘Sue was overjoyed to hear that the operation had been a success.’
- ‘Susan, 31, is overjoyed to have her husband safely back from the front line.’
- ‘United fans were overjoyed today that the most successful manager in the club's history was about to sign on for more glory.’
- ‘All of the staff in the unit were overjoyed to see that someone had come to help.’
- ‘Jacob was overjoyed, gleefully running to the outer field with his teammates in hot pursuit.’
- ‘If the situation regarding accountability can be established, most of the electorate would be overjoyed.’
- ‘Asked how he was feeling now that he was cleared of these charges, he said he was overjoyed about the decision.’
- ‘Bangladesh players as well as their fans in Bangladesh are simply overjoyed.’
- ‘When I returned the video back to the video store the next day, the woman was absolutely overjoyed.’
- ‘I was perhaps not as overjoyed as I should have been when he told me that the woman quoted the price in dollars.’
- ‘We were greatly relieved and overjoyed when our flight landed in Shanghai and we got into a Shanghai cab.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.