One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device that projects an enlarged image of an acetate or other transparency placed on it on to a wall or screen by means of an overhead mirror.
- ‘Some churches employ microphones, tape recording, CCTV, or overhead projectors, while others avoid such devices.’
- ‘First, the student uses an overhead projector to project his or her image onto a large piece of stiff paper.’
- ‘Audio-visual aids such as overhead projectors and transparencies, flip charts, audio and video players, etc. can be tremendous assets when used effectively, but great liabilities when not.’
- ‘She creates miniature 3D images on overhead projectors and shelves, which are seen as 2D images.’
- ‘The man turns away and changes transparencies on the overhead projector and begins his lesson.’
- ‘It's sort of like one of those screens for overhead projectors.’
- ‘Project the student's silhouette with the use of an overhead projector or any light source.’
- ‘For many years, overhead projectors lit up transparencies, and slide projectors showed high-resolution 35 mm slides.’
- ‘Some of the best ideas were then enlarged, transferred onto the wall with an overhead projector and painted in acrylic paint.’
- ‘He stands beside a screen, a computer and an overhead projector, pointer in hand.’
- ‘I can tell the youth group likes this song, because when Jason slips the transparency onto the overhead projector, we hear a chorus of ‘Yesss!’’
- ‘The studio's back wall is lit by an overhead projector placed on a table slightly to the right of center, against which a few ornate frames lean.’
- ‘The room was equipped with a microphone system, slide projector, overhead projector, and a computer system for the use of Power Point presentations and Internet searches.’
- ‘The presenter will need to stand next to the overhead projector or plan to have an assistant to coordinate the transparencies with the talk.’
- ‘He paged through about a dozen transparencies on the overhead projector.’
- ‘Transparencies are becoming less important with the demise of the overhead projector, but you may need special papers for reports and so on.’
- ‘But the slick presentation, complete with images from an overhead projector, did little to calm the frustration felt by many of the audience.’
- ‘During one observation, Beth had her students copy a textbook problem she projected on the overhead projector rather than having them copy the problem from their individual textbooks.’
- ‘I made transparencies of their original sketches and we used overhead projectors to trace their designs on the walls.’
- ‘You could use the instrument also to project written or printed documents, by laying them flat on the surface, and having them optically projected just like in an overhead projector.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.