Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Deplete the stock of fish in (a body of water) by excessive fishing.‘this part of the Mediterranean is terribly overfished’
- ‘The areas that are overfished most quickly and easily are nearest shore.’
- ‘The North Atlantic basin is massively overfished and the fisheries are in dire trouble - but no one is taking this lesson to heart, said Rosenberg.’
- ‘It used to be so much more, but the oceans are overfished.’
- ‘Likewise, some human societies may not overexploit their land nor overfish their waters, even if they have the technical means to do so, because each person follows the ethic of not taking more than he or she requires.’
- ‘The reef had been heavily damaged and thoroughly overfished, forcing islanders to venture farther to sea to find good fishing.’
- ‘There is concern whether the surrounding ocean is being overfished.’
- ‘Seventy percent of the world's most valuable fisheries, and 11 of 15 major fishing grounds, are either overfished or fished to the limit according to the United Nations.’
- ‘We are cutting down too many trees, overfishing the oceans, polluting the air, exhausting the soil.’
- ‘As more accessible, coastal waters off South America were overfished and emptied, commercial boats zeroed in on the protected waters of the Galápagos.’
- 1.1Deplete the stock of (a fish)‘yellowfin tuna has been overfished’
- ‘More than half of the known, managed, major fish species in U.S. waters are not overfished.’
- ‘And there is no doubt that these boats are now overfishing the yellowfin tuna resource.’
- ‘The sole stock is overfished and it could take between seven and eight years for the cod stock to recover.’
- ‘Try to find out which type of fish is environmentally sustainable and which is being overfished and you enter a murky, swirling netherworld of mysterious claims and counter-claims.’
- ‘‘Bluefin is an overfished stock and quite in bad shape,’ he said, adding that because it is a temperate-water fish and grows slowly, it is in particular danger of being overfished.’
- ‘As worldwide demand for fish increases, the stocks of some species have been overfished.’
- ‘When sharks are overfished, a cascade of effects can lead to a depletion of important grazers of plant life.’
- ‘Ironically, the new technology takes away the competitive edge of these experienced fishermen and makes it easier for a population to be overfished, but it can also create win-win situations.’
- ‘Now, 200 years later, all five species of Pacific salmon have been overfished, and the great dams of the Columbia and the Snake have driven many runs to extinction.’
- ‘The blue marlin stock in the Atlantic has probably been overfished for the last 10-15 years.’
- ‘Catches are mostly inside safe biological limits, but some stocks are overfished.’
- ‘Some populations of sea cucumbers have been overfished, which has an effect on the ecosystem.’
- ‘North Atlantic swordfish faced similar peril in the 1990's, having for decades been severely overfished and mismanaged nearly to the point of commercial extinction.’
- ‘The agency says white marlin have been overfished for 30 years and mortality is seven times higher than acceptable levels.’
- ‘‘The fish can grow to over 2 meters but it's being overfished in many parts of the southern ocean,’ he said.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.