Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give too much food to.‘the general view was that you cannot overfeed a baby’
fill, fully satisfy, sateView synonyms
- ‘Overtired and overfed politicians negotiate stupendous sums of other people's money into the night, finally agreeing to any nonsense so as to get home for Christmas.’
- ‘Also, eating smaller meals ensures that you won't overfeed yourself, whereas the excess calories would likely be stored as fat.’
- ‘The equines were not allowed to be touched without permission, and were not to be overfed on treats.’
- ‘‘As the snake will initially refuse food, the collector will overfeed it,’ he said, adding that this would eventually kill the animal.’
- ‘On the flip side, if you overfeed Carl, he'll get fat.’
- ‘Anybody who has some understanding of the animal kingdom will recognise that the worst thing a dog owner can do to a pet is overfeed it.’
- ‘Children should never be overfed by comparing them with the neighbour's child, he said.’
- ‘Many of the birds might have overfed themselves as Richter said some had difficulty getting out of the breakers at times.’
- ‘Experience had taught her not to overfeed a starving body.’
- ‘However, the animals' prediabetic symptoms came on suddenly, after 16 weeks of being overfed.’
- ‘I'm overfed, but all I have to do is look at generations of my family to know I'll never be svelte.’
- ‘According to veterinarians surveyed, more than half of the nation's cats and dogs are overfed, which can lead to health problems.’
- ‘Bottle-fed babies are often overfed because parents encourage babies to empty the entire bottle.’
- ‘Those who can eat a lot have a natural advantage over those with smaller appetites - it's easier to grow when you naturally overfeed your body.’
- ‘Hal then begins to overfeed the dogs, thinking that this would give them more strength when all they needed was a good rest from such a tedious schedule.’
- ‘We seem to have learned from last year's experience not to overfeed the pigs even if they do look hungry!’
- ‘She obsesses about its feeding schedule but in fact most pet fish are overfed anyway.’
- ‘Not only are our kids overfed on junk food and fast food, they are fast becoming victims of the techno age.’
- ‘Some may be based on birds in captivity in Europe that were unintentionally overfed, and fattened up beyond what would occur in nature.’
- ‘So far as I know, the cat has only been overfed twice since I've taken on the job of principal feeder.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.