Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessively accurate and careful about minor details.‘you do not need to be overexact in calculating your submission date’
critical, censorious, carping, captious, cavilling, quibbling, nigglingView synonyms
- ‘Here the narrator creates a logical chain that is not only grammatically excessive but comically overexact.’
- ‘Perhaps these writers were unburdened by ''overexact'' technical knowledge.’
- ‘I am not very proud of this translation, for even in its vagueness it is overexact.’
- ‘All over-exact people are unpleasant company.’
- ‘It can be just as misleading to be overexact, by insisting on distinctions finer than the context makes necessary, as to be careless.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.