Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Place excessive emphasis on.‘the importance of adequate preparation cannot be overemphasized’
overstress, exaggerate, attach too much importance to, attach too much weight to, make too much of, overplay, overdo, overdramatize, belabour, labour, dwell on, harp on, make something out of nothing, make a mountain out of a molehillView synonyms
- ‘It cannot be overemphasized that the prosecutors have the key to the success of the reform of their organization and to securing their long-desired independence and political neutrality.’
- ‘It cannot be overemphasized that voters must make their decision based on facilitating a national leap forward by overcoming the difficulties at home and abroad.’
- ‘The importance of citizens' full cooperation cannot be overemphasized for the success of the project, which will create a beautiful capital city for future generations.’
- ‘The importance of your involvement in this project, whether you volunteer as a visitor or offer your camp as a study site, cannot be overemphasized.’
- ‘Likewise, labour laws and regulations overemphasize the protection of women.’
- ‘This shift in tone and look cannot be overemphasized.’
- ‘The key is listening and it can't be overemphasized.’
- ‘On the one hand, it suggests that the administration has overemphasized the importance of demonstrating resolve as a means of advancing its interests.’
- ‘The significance of the crucial Dec. 19 contest cannot be overemphasized.’
- ‘It cannot be overemphasized at this moment that the leaders of the residents' group should return to the dialogue table with the government, and realize that they can never attain what they want by violent means.’
- ‘Under these conditions, it cannot be overemphasized that any lame-duck phenomenon by the government's economic leadership must be prevented.’
- ‘Given these economic circumstances, the role of economic planners in the government cannot be overemphasized.’
- ‘The seriousness of unhealthy population growth cannot be overemphasized because it leads to an increase in the number of aged people and a shortage of labor.’
- ‘Another important lesson that may be drawn from the registry is that the importance of any type of diet in weight control may be overemphasized.’
- ‘It cannot be overemphasized that for the mission of the troops to be successful, we need closer cooperation between the two countries.’
- ‘Each one carries an inherent political bias that overemphasizes the representation of some form of interest and underemphasizes the remainder.’
- ‘Therefore, such a practice that overemphasizes the role of the college entrance examination and ignores basic humanity should not be praised.’
- ‘It cannot be overemphasized that those promises must be sufficiently scrutinized and discussed because they are directly related to the interests of the people.’
- ‘The importance of breathing clean air cannot be overemphasized.’
- ‘Speaking to Congress, he implied that the media overemphasizes the negative: ‘I have seen some of the images that are being shown here on television.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.